Summer has come and gone, bringing Autumn on in full-force. It comes time to welcome the season where the leaves turn brown and begin to fall; the season that transforms the flora into a vibrancy of yellow, orange and red. Red is a natural colour of autumn, so, it comes to no surprise that red is the dominant colour trend this season.
It only took me a stroll on the high-street to recognise that the red trend was most dominant in the form of a coat. The first red coat that I saw was from Primark. Admittedly, sometimes I have the same stereotypes about Primark that others do: unfashionable, cheap, bad quality, wear-it-once-and-it-falls-apart. I was delighted, however, to find that this was not the case. While Primark used to be a place I shopped for my basics, it transformed into a shop that I visited not because I needed to but because I wanted to.
Below is a list of reasons that will make you want a red coat this season. You will come to find that a red coat is a piece that does not cost much and can make anyone look good with little effort.
FIVE REASONS YOU NEED A RED COAT
- A coat is an outfit or can make an outfit… you could wear your pyjamas underneath and no one would know! Essentially, if you have a nice coat, you do not have to stress too much about whats underneath it. At the same time, a coat is diverse as you can wear it day and night.
- Its warm… There is nothing worse than a trend that is impractical. A coat is one of the most practical things you can own as it protects you from the elements, looking great without trying too hard.
- Red is the colour of love… It is also the colour of power, prestige and fire. It is a colour that carries a multitude of meanings but most importantly, it is a colour that commands attention. If you want to command attention and make a statement then there is no better piece than a red coat.
- Red suits everyone… I am yet to meet someone who does not suit red. So, why not play it safe with a colour that looks good on everyone!
- It does not cost a fortune… The Primark coat only costs 25 pounds. If you have ever bought a coat before you will know that they are not cheap, so why not opt for a cheap one?
- It is not a fad... a coat never goes out of style and is something you will use time and time again.
Now that you want a red coat, it is time to learn how to style a red coat. As mentioned earlier, a coat is a worthwhile purchase because it can be worn with so much or conversely, so little. A red coat can look fabulous with a simple outfit: a plain tee, black jeans and boots. To change up the outfit for the evening, swap boots or sneakers for heels.
Wearing the red coat with a dress is another alternative. I wore a patterned dress in hues of black and brown. The dress itself actually does not contain red, however, this shows how easy it is to wear a red coat. Also notice I wore matching red boots. While matching your shoes to your dress is not strictly necessary, it draws the outfit together further and creates a more cohesive look.
If you are unsure of what colours to wear with red then think of complimentary colours (red and green) or conversely stick to black, brown and white.
(Primark only available in-store) Primark – Red Coat (£25) Primark – Red Boots (£14)
Below are a few other red coats that I would suggest purchasing.
This blog post illustrates how one piece, like the red coat, is enough to update yourself for the next season. It is also shows that looking good can be achieved on a low budget. I hope you all have a happy autumn and I look forward to see you strutting around in a red coat!